Well, this semester is definitely going to be an endurance trial for me. I am currently taking two Master’s courses (American Global Power: Religion, Gender, and Human Rights and The Qur’an and Women) , both of which are pretty intensive and require A LOT of reading! However, I am learning so much and I am so excited to be a part of such intelligent and respectful discourse. Nonetheless, this workload and course of study has caused me to neglect this blog this past week. Add to that, I have been terribly sick, but I am finally feeling soooo much better. It is so important to practice self care when engaging in all these activities.
Anyway, for this entry I really want to focus on breaking down the programs that exist under the NCADD umbrella. But first, I also want to clarify my role, so that you may keep this in mind as I describe the programs. As I think I mentioned in my first post, I am the Clinical Director for NCADD and my role is to manage each of these programs, which includes staff, quality management, documentation, program implementation, etc.
To begin, when I began working for NCADD six years ago, it was a small non-profit that served a relatively small clientele and employed about 14 people full time. In six years time, we now employ 35 people full time and we have also increased our part time population. This is in large part due to the exponential growth that we have had with our programs. Six years ago we had two programs operating: an outpatient substance abuse treatment program and Weldon House (a transitional living environment for women and children).
OUTPATIENT: The basic elements of the outpatient counseling program include weekly groups and individual counseling for those clients that seek out our services. These groups and services are facilitated by licensed and/or master’s level therapists and social workers who implement an established curriculum with their own interpretation and approach. This program is broken down into three levels: Level 1: an introduction/education/group orientation level, Level 2: a process group to address core issues that typically cause substance abuse, Level 3: an aftercare and support level. Most of our population is referred from Child Protective Services (CPS) and Terros Families First for substance related concerns that impact children in terms of neglect and abuse. This is an often stigmatized population and our work is focused on care and compassion to those that are sick and suffering.
WELDON HOUSE: This program is the brainchild of our current CEO Thelma Ross and is truly unique. It consists of 17 apartments/town homes that are fully furnished. Clients that are accepted to the program have traditionally completed some form of residential treatment or have engaged in out patient counseling services for a period of time and have displayed some desire for change. Clients that enter into the program are on an orientation period for 30 - 60 days. During this time, communication with family and friends is limited, so that the client will focus on acclimating to the community and begin adjusting to the rigorous treatment schedule. Due to the community nature of Weldon House and the vulnerable populations that live there, family members must go through a screening process in order to visit the community. The primary intent of Weldon House is for each client to have their own home to learn, in a supportive environment, how to be a sober mom. After clients complete orientation they transition into Level I, which consists of attending primary treatment groups four days a week, weekly individual counseling, parenting group, life skills group, dual diagnosis group, DBT, and possibly other ancillary services depending on the client needs. Treatment is completely individualized and is person-centered. One of the primary goals of Weldon House is to assist clients in achieving self sufficiency as an answer to some of the shorter term resolutions that are often explored with indigent clients. Many programs are limited by time constraints and often answer the resource challenge through referrals to minimum wage jobs that leave clients in poverty conditions and increases recidivism into welfare programs. Weldon clients work with a vocational counselor to begin educational and vocational development, so when they discharge from the program they have a marketable skills set that can sustain a single parent family without being reliant on state welfare. Graduates of our program have entered into a variety of careers including veterinary technicians, accounting, social work and counseling, nursing and medical careers. Many clients come to us without high school diplomas or equivalency, however, most graduates of Weldon leave with a minimum of a GED. When clients move into Level II, their treatment schedules decrease and their vocational programming intensifies. When clients complete training and begin work they successfully transition from the program. This is individualized for each client.
I might add here that clients at Weldon attend their treatment at the NCADD outpatient program, but there is a therapist that is the provider for the program along with case managers and peers supports. Also, outpatient clients have access to the same ancillary groups as Weldon House. Also, it may be important to note that NCADD-Phoenix is gender specific. Anyway, these were the programs in place when I began working with NCADD. Since then, we have added three more programs and we continue to expand. I will discuss those programs in greater detail in my next blog!
No comments:
Post a Comment