Thursday, March 22, 2012

Karen Casey Event: Success

Before I discuss the results of our fundraising endeavor, I want to take a quick moment to make an observation about Spring Break. I wish I actually had a break! There, I’ve said it. My complaint is complete. This semester has been a true endurance trial for me and it only continues to get tougher. I simply cannot believe that we only have a month and a week to graduation. When I think about it, I get both excited and a little freaked out because I do not feel that there are enough hours in the day to complete all that I have to do. However, I know I will make it; I just have to take it one thing at a time. Thus, my Spring Break has been consumed with work and school prep. I am working on writing a 25 page research paper on the symbolism of the hijab from the secular and post structuralist perspectives. I am really excited to write this paper, but the research is pretty greuling. However, I feel pretty confident that I can get through it. I have set a timeline for writing so hopefully that will help. 

However, this blog is not centered on my current scholastic adventures, but rather on my exploration in the real world. As I had mentioned previously, we held a fund raising event last Saturday and it was a wonderful success. It was a little tough having to spend my entire Saturday there with all the reading I have on my plate, but I think it was totally worth it. The speaker was wonderful and we made a lovely profit to apply to single women without medical coverage to get life saving preventative care. It was also a great way to market our program and marshal community support behind our non-profit. There are many people who attended that want to be get involved to support our treatment community and we truly value each person who takes an interest. 

This work week has been quite hectic as we have had many collaborative community meetings, internal structural changes, and funding increases. The pace is incredible, but it also completely rewarding. We are in the process of writing for multiple grants and in fact, we are in the early stages of pursuing the largest grant opportunity that we have ever decided to take on. I am really looking forward to learning from and being a part of that process. On a sad note, tomorrow morning I will have to be a part of terminating an employee. I think one of our peers, Javid recently wrote about this necessary evil. One of the things that makes this so challenging is that our work community is much like a family and it is incredibly painful to make this decision. However, we must always ethically keep our clients needs first. I think if I always allow that philosophy to be my guiding compass, I will probably not go wrong. 

Anyway, we shall see how it all goes tomorrow. At least after the termination, late in the afternoon we will be hiring two new team members who I believe will be an amazing fit for our organization. It truly doesn’t make it any less uncomfortable, though. Que sera, sera! 

No comments:

Post a Comment