Sunday, March 25, 2012

Changes and New Beginnings

Well as I mentioned previously, we had to terminate a long time employee on Friday. I must say that it is incredibly painful because one is definitely aware of the effect that this change will inevitably have on that person’s life. The employee was devastated and clearly surprised. Nothing makes that part of a job easy. I used to be incredibly critical of people in leadership, but being on the other side and in that role now I have a deep appreciation of the scope that must be considered when making decisions. When one is privy to only some information, it makes it difficult to see and appreciate all angles of decision.

This week will be equally as busy as the last because now I have two people to train and we are back to school (although I never really stopped over the holiday break). It will also be a sad week because I am having to let go of an incredibly special part of my job, which has to do with direct client contact. I will be giving up my group with young adults and transitioning it over to one of the new employees that I have hired. While this will alleviate a significant amount of stress, I know that my clients will be sad and distressed by the change. However, by doing all of this, it will open my time to supervise more effectively and to become more involved with the larger scope of our operations. I am ready to embrace this change.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Holly. That does sound pretty stressful. I have had to let people go in my previous job and it always does suck. But with the loss does come new oppurtunity so keep your mind on that. The new minds will hopefully add to your organization and its success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that the company had to let some people go. It is always hard to watch. Good luck with training the two new employees! I hope everything goes smooth and works out for the luck. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's never fun to see long-time co-workers go, at this point I couldn't imagine having to be the one who has to terminate their employment. I'm sorry you had to deal with that but as your blog title "changes and new beginnings" implies there are always new beginnings with the end of one chapter.

    ReplyDelete